Director of Quality, Field Operations, and Project Management
The primary purpose of this position is to plan, organize, direct, develop, and lead programs to achieve AF's short- and long-range objectives for the following departments: Arbitration Hearing Operations, Quality Assurance, Staff Arbitration, Member Service Department, and the Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO). This includes responsibilities for: department operations, workflow research, developing and expediting new member-driven programs, quality improvement projects, workflow guidelines and procedures, staffing development and expense management. The annual expense budget for all departments reporting to this position totals $11.5M. The ultimate goal for each department is to maximize the quality and efficiency of AF’s arbitration operations and to ensure the successful deployment of new products designed to provide innovative recovery solutions for member companies. The position reports to the President and CEO of AF.
AF's Business Model
Unique to AF is a business model that relies on the depth and breadth of relationships with the management of member companies who provide over 10,000 arbitrators to hear intercompany insurance disputes. Arbitration is the sole product, generating projected revenue of $38.8M for AF in 2020. This position is responsible for developing and maintaining critical relationships with member management that are key to achieving the short- and long-term goals for cycle time and member satisfaction with arbitration. Members hearing cases for other members at a ratio of 1:1 cases heard to cases filed is key to AF’s ability to deliver the efficient and effective resolution of over 850,000 cases, annually totaling over $4.0 billion in disputed dollars. This position also provides leadership and input to all other directors for the development and implementation of strategic plans, including new product development and upgrades in technology platforms to ensure AF innovation keeps pace with member expectations.
Primary Job Functions
- Establishes, in conjunction with the president and other senior managers, policies and procedures for effective arbitration hearing operations and the quality review process.
- Analyzes AF’s future market growth and proposes long-term Arbitration Hearing Operations, Member Service Department, Quality Assurance, Staff Arbitration, and E-Commerce Services objectives. Collaborates with all other areas of the business to champion technology improvements required to meet member expectations for efficiency and quality.
- Coordinates, with direction from the president/CEO, AF’s long-range strategic planning activities for these areas. Assures that programs and procedures are consistent with and supportive of current strategic goals.
- Consults with potential users of new services and internal departments to identify areas of opportunity for quality and service improvements. Proposes the business case for recommended solutions and participates in the design of technological solutions.
- Oversees change management for the implementation of new products.
- Designs, reviews, and presents reports on Arbitration Hearing Operations, Member Service Department, Quality Assurance, Staff Arbitration, and E-Commerce performance as requested by the president. Consults with all segments of management responsible for action or policy. Ensures compliance with AF’s rules. Makes recommendations for improving member satisfaction and effectiveness of policies and procedures for the departments managed.
- Proven track record of delivering excellent customer/member service, coupled with the ability to relate to the needs and experiences of AF members and ensure service delivery aligns with AF’s mission of exceptional service.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team player, generates enthusiasm, builds effective working relationships at all levels
- Highly developed emotional intelligence skills. Understanding of organizational effectiveness principles and experience leading workplace cultural transformations is very beneficial.
- Highly developed leadership skills with experience leading a large, decentralized organization. Experience and comfort using collaborative video technology to connect and communicate with employees and members.
- Excellent ability to build trust, provide direction, alignment, and vitality to execute with excellence and achieve extraordinary results.
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, both oral and written, ability to communicate concepts effectively at all levels.
- Sets standards for excellence, particularly in management areas including motivation, leadership, coaching, quality orientation, facilitating change, and strategic decision making.
- Skilled problem solver and the ability to successfully resolve conflict.
- Thrives in a challenging, entrepreneurial atmosphere; open to change, creating change, and embraces continuous improvement.
- Exercises sound and well-reasoned judgment.
Qualifications and Experience
- MBA, Master’s level degree in applicable field, or insurance industry equivalent experience.
- Strong understanding of P&C Claims industry.